Château Miranda – the fairytale castle of Noisy, Belgium
A 19th-century neo-Gothic castle
in the province of Namur, Belgium.
This Château was built in 1866 by the English architect Edward Milner under commission from the Liedekerke-De Beaufort family, who had left their previous home, Vêves Castle, during the French Revolution. However, Milner died before the Château was finished. Construction was completed in 1907 after the clock tower was erected.
Their descendants remained in occupation until World War II. A portion of the Battle of the Bulge took place on the property, and it was during that time that the Château was occupied by German forces.
In 1950, Château Miranda was renamed “Château de Noisy” when it was taken over by the National Railway Company of Belgium (NMBS/SNCB) as an orphanage and also a holiday camp for sickly children. It lasted as a children’s camp until the late 1970s.
» Written by Alan who goes under the name of twin-rhino | Published on September 7, 2017